Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A knitting room of one's own

We just moved to a new 3-room appartment, and made a very bold decision: We have no living room. We have a quite large kid's room, an even larger guy's room half filled with computer stuff and playthings, and [ta-ta-tara!] mum's very own little room for knitting, sewing and chatting.

It has been ten years or so since I last had a room of my own, and I really enjoy the closed door sometimes. But even more, I love to bring my family into the tiny space with three cups of tea, two magazines and a box of Polly-dolls. Yesterday, the blonde Polly took her man shopping in Knitty, carefully tiptoeing over my laptop keyboard, before they had lunch on daddy's knee.

Today, I am carefully sorting my yarn into piles on the sofa. Planning where and how to store the different yarns, and what to knit this summer and fall. Taking my time to touch and smell the delicate fibres, combining different colours, and knitting swatches as I go. Knowing that if I can't finnish today, I can leave everything out, close the door and continue tomorrow.

No comments: