Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Size

I recently finished a jacket for a friend's baby. The pattern directions were for 0-3 months, but due to different yarn and gauge the garment measures were equal to those for size 3-6 months. I actually planned this, and hopefully the soft merino/silk-blend will keep Baby L warm all winter.

But here's what surprised me: I do not have a baby measuring doll, so I got my skinny three-year old to model the unassembled front and back pieces while I marked where to set in the sleeves. And it fit her perfectly! I had her try it on again after blocking, and the wide, cosy baby jacket was really cute as a slim fit, 3/4 sleeve jacket for the girl. Too bad the real recipient is a boy. I can't imagine his mother dressing him in white lace past his first year.

(But I am curently knitting one for my girl from the same pattern.)

No comments: